As the SEC enjoys some easy College Football competition, Notre Dame visits The Bronx and Clemson and Michigan face conference foes.
This Week’s Voters: Geoff Magliocchetti, Justin Weiss
(All Times ET)
#1. Alabama (10-0)
- Last Week: W 24-0 vs. #Mississippi State
- Top Performer: DL Quinnen Williams (6 tackles, 2 TFL, 1 sack)
- This Week: Saturday vs. The Citadel (12:00 p.m., SEC Network)
The question over whether the Crimson Tide could beat an NFL team is ridiculous and overplayed, but you’d have to like their freshman squad’s chances against the Bulldogs.
#2. Clemson (10-0)
- Last Week: W 27-7 @ Boston College
- Top Performer: QB Trevor Lawrence (29-40, 295 yards, 1 TD)
- This Week: Saturday vs. Duke (7:00 p.m., ESPN)
The Tigers’ ACC tour from hell continues against the Blue Devils, who will be looking to showcase NFL prospect Daniel Jones at quarterback.
#3. Notre Dame (10-0)
- Last Week: W 42-13 vs. Florida State
- Top Performer: RB Dexter Williams (20 carries, 202 yards, 2 TD)
- This Week: Saturday vs. #Syracuse (@The Bronx, NY) (2:30 p.m., NBC)
After easily dispatching the Seminoles with Brandon Wimbush under center, Ian Book will be back in the Irish’s biggest test yet, facing the resurgent Orange on neutral turf … or infield?
#4. Michigan (9-1)
- Last Week: W 42-7 @ Rutgers
- Top Performer: QB Shea Patterson (18-27, 260 yards, 3 TD)
- This Week: Saturday vs. Indiana (2:30 p.m., FS1)
Standing between the Wolverines and an epic showdown with rival Ohio State are the Hoosiers, who have been victimized by the UM in 22 consecutive meetings.
#5. Georgia (9-1)
- Last Week: W 27-10 vs. Auburn
- Top Performer: RB D’Andre Swift (17 carries, 186 yards, 1 TD)
- This Week: Saturday vs. Massachusetts (4:00 p.m., SEC Network)
With Taylor’s Reputation world tour almost over, D’Andre may have dibs on the “Swift” surname monopoly for until Grammy season, as the sophomore is making a late Heisman push with three consecutive 100-yard games.
#6. Oklahoma (9-1)
- Last Week: W 48-47 vs. Oklahoma State
- Top Performer: RB Kennedy Brooks (15 carries, 165 yards, 3 TD)
- This Week: Saturday vs Kansas (7:00 p.m., Fox)
“Bedlam” lived up to its name on Saturday, featuring over 1,300 yards of offense and the Sooners’ CFP chances brought back to life by the dynamic duo of Brooks and Kyler Murray (435 total yards).
#7. UCF (9-0)
- Last Week: W 35-24 vs. Navy
- Top Performer: QB McKenzie Milton (17-21, 200 yards, 7 carries, 62 yards, 3 total TD)
- This Week: Saturday vs. Cincinnati (8:00 p.m., ABC)
The Golden Knights wanted some of the national spotlight and they’ll finally get it for a huge matchup with the Bearcats, which College GameDay will play witness to.
#8. Ohio State (9-1)
- Last Week: W 26-6 @ Michigan State
- Top Performer: QB Dwayne Haskins (24-39, 227 yards, 1 TD)
- This Week: Saturday @ Maryland (12:00 p.m., ABC)
20-point margin aside, the Buckeyes’ performance against the Spartans left much to be desired, as they’ve looked sloppy over three consecutive contests.
#9. West Virginia (8-1)
- Last Week: W 47-10 vs. TCU
- Top Performer: QB Will Grier (25-39, 343 yards, 3 TD)
- This Week: Saturday @ Oklahoma State (3:30 p.m., ABC)
Unranked as they may be, the Cowboys present a formidable challenge to the Mountaineers, especially being a team fuming over a missed opportunity in Norman.
#10. Washington State (9-1)
- Last Week: W 31-7 @ Colorado
- Top Performer: DB Kedron Williams (3 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 INT)
- This Week: Saturday vs Arizona (10:30 p.m., ESPN)
As the rest of the PAC-12 implodes behind them, the Cougars may need some help to climb up the CFP rankings, but are fully enjoying the revitalization of what was a lost program.
#11. Syracuse (8-2)
- Last Week: W 54-23 vs. Louisville
- Top Performer: RB Moe Neal (8 carries, 159 yards, 2 TD)
- This Week: Saturday vs #3 Notre Dame (@The Bronx, NY) (2:30 p.m., NBC)
Seems like we’re saying this a lot this magical season, but this might be the biggest game Syracuse football has seen in decades.
#12. LSU (8-2)
- Last Week: W 24-17 @ Arkansas
- Top Performer: S Grant Delpit (6 tackles, 2 PD, 1 sack, 1 fumble recovery)
- This Week: Saturday vs. Rice (7:30 p.m., ESPNU)
Delpit, a sophomore defender, is already drawing comparisons to Jamal Adams and will be one of the most intriguing draft prospects once he hits the NFL market.
#13. Penn State (8-2)
- Last Week: W 22-10 vs. Wisconsin
- Top Performer: DT Robert Windsor (6 tackles, 2 sacks)
- This Week: Saturday @ Rutgers (12:00 p.m., BTN)
Longshots at best after a tough October, the Nittany Lions regained some semblance of offensive momentum against the Badgers.
#14. Florida (7-3)
- Last Week: W 35-31 vs. South Carolina
- Top Performer: RB Jordan Scarlett (18 carries, 159 yards)
- This Week: Saturday vs Idaho (12:00 p.m., ESPNU)
The Gators were another team that enjoyed a resurgence, albeit one of the different variety, as they ended a losing streak with a comeback from as much as 17 points down against the Gamecocks.
#15. Texas (7-3)
- Last Week: W 41-34 @ Texas Tech
- Top Performer: WR Lil’Jordan Humphrey (8 receptions, 159 yards, 2 TD)
- This Week: Saturday vs. #16 Iowa State (8:00 p.m., Longhorn Network)
Another team that ended a losing streak with a big win, the Longhorns’ victory was perhaps even bigger, as they reentered conference championship consideration.
#16. Iowa State (6-3)
- Last Week: W 28-14 vs. Baylor
- Top Performer: QB Brock Purdy (18-23, 230 yards, 1 TD)
- This Week: Saturday @ #15 Texas (8:00 p.m., Longhorn Network)
The football renaissance in Ames continues, as the Cyclones face a huge challenge that can truly introduce them to the national spotlight.
#17. Washington (7-3)
- Last Week: Idle
- Top Performer: N/A
- This Week: Saturday vs. Oregon State (4:30 p.m., PAC-12 Networks)
A trap game against the lowly Beavers is the last test for the Huskies before they can potentially kill the rival Washington State Cougars’ outside chances at the CFP.
#18. Utah (7-3)
- Last Week: W 32-25 vs. Oregon
- Top Performer: LB Chase Hansen (13 tackles, 3.5 TFL, 1 sack)
- This Week: Saturday @ Colorado (1:30 p.m., PAC-12 Network)
The Utes don’t sneak up on many anymore with their major conference status, though they could be in a tad of trouble if running back Zach Moss misses any time.
#19. Utah State (9-1)
- Last Week: W 62-24 vs. San Jose State
- Top Performer: QB Jordan Love (32-42, 491 yards, 5 TD)
- This Week: Saturday @ Colorado State (2:00 p.m., AT&T SportsNet)
The Aggies are finally getting their due, and they’ll probably be the biggest fans of the Bearcats this week, to increase their chances of stealing the Group of Five’s New Year’s Six spot.
#20. Northwestern (6-4)
- Last Week: W 14-10 @ Iowa
- Top Performer: RB Isaiah Bowser (31 carries, 165 yards, 1 TD)
- This Week: Saturday @ Minnesota (12:00 p.m., BTN)
It’s time to be some respect to the Wildcats, who clinched their spot in the Big Ten title game with a narrow come-from-behind win over the Hawkeyes.
#21. Cincinnati (9-1)
- Last Week: W vs. South Florida 35-23
- Top Performer: RB Michael Warren II (28 carries, 151 yards, 3 TD)
- This Week: Saturday @ #7 UCF (8:00 p.m., ABC)
The Bearcats took care of business against one directional Florida school and can get some major props for ending the “national champion’s” long winning streak.
#22. Buffalo (9-1)
- Last Week: W 48-14 vs Kent State
- Top Performer: RB Jaret Patterson (18 carries, 187 yards, 2 TD)
- This Week: Wednesday @ Ohio (7:00 p.m., ESPN2)
Dominators of “#MACtion” up to this point, the Bulls can earn the first 10-win season in program history with one more win on Wednesday.
#23. Kentucky (7-3)
- Last Week: L @ Tennessee 24-7
- Top Performer: LB Josh Allen (6 tackles, 1 sack)
- This Week: Saturday vs. Middle Tennessee State (12:00 p.m., SEC Network)
The Wildcats have fallen back to earth, but the bright spot of their downfall is that losses against teams like the Vols are actually heartbreaking for the first time in forever.
#24. Army (8-2)
- Last Week: W 31-13 vs. Lafayette
- Top Performer: RB Darnell Woolfolk (12 carries, 69 yards, 2 TD)
- This Week: Saturday vs. Colgate (12:00 p.m., CBSSN)
Going up against the undefeated Red Raiders, the Black Knights own the nation’s second-longest home winning streak behind Alabama’s mastery in Tuscaloosa (12).
#25. UAB (9-1)
- Last Week: W 26-23 vs. Southern Mississippi (OT)
- Top Performer: S Mar’Sean Diggs (8 tackles, 1 INT)
- This Week: Saturday @ Texas A&M (7:00 p.m., ESPN2)
Enough can’t be said about the Blazers’ magnificent return to glory, considering the program didn’t exist as little as two years ago.
Follow Geoff Magliocchetti on TWITTER
FOR FULL STORY ON STANDARD WEBSITE: ESNY College Football Week 12 Top 25: Hunt for the CFP intensifies | Elite Sports NY