There will be five matchups involving college football’s Top 25 co-combatants this weekend, four involving members of the Top 10.
This Week’s Voters: Geoff Magliocchetti, Louis Sklenarik, Justin Weiss
(All Times ET.)
#1. Alabama (4-0)
- Last Week: W 45-23 vs. Texas A&M
- Top Performer: QB Tua Tagovailoa (22-30, 387 yards, 4 carries, 10 yards, 5 total TD)
- This Week: Saturday vs. Louisiana (12:00 p.m., SEC Network)
Nick Saban has flat out asked the media to say bad things about his team, so we guess we’ll use this space to point out the fact that the Aggies, a work in progress in the SEC, put up 393 yards on the Crimson Tide’s vaunted defense, while the Tide themselves gave 82 yards on nine penalties.
#2. Clemson (4-0)
- Last Week: W 49-21 @ Georgia Tech
- Top Performer: RB Travis Etienne (11 carries, 122 yards, 1 reception, 3 yards, 2 total TD)
- This Week: Saturday vs. #24 Syracuse (12:00 p.m., ABC)
The Tigers’ quarterback battle is officially over, with the reigns turned over to the touted freshman Trevor Lawrence, and it comes just as they face off with Syracuse, who shocked them and the rest of the college football world with a win at the Carrier Dome in last season’s meeting.
#3. Georgia (4-0)
- Last Week: W 43-29 @ Missouri
- Top Performer: QB Jake Fromm (13-23, 260 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT)
- This Week: Saturday vs. Tennessee (3:30 p.m., CBS)
Kirby Smart was likewise critical of his Bulldogs have a roller coaster game in Columbia, but, after passing a big test, relief comes in the form of the woebegone Volunteers, who enter Athens as 32.5-point underdogs.
#4. LSU (4-0)
- Last Week: W 38-21 vs. Louisiana Tech
- Top Performer: LB Devin White (11 tackles, 3 PD’s, 2.5 TFL, 1 sack)
- This Week: Saturday vs. Ole Miss (9:00 p.m., ESPN)
A potential trap game against an SEC foe awaits in Baton Rouge this weekend, a task further exacerbated by an injury to starting guard Garrett Brumfield in the previous win over Louisiana Tech that was closer than expected.
#5. Ohio State (4-0)
- Last Week: W 49-6 vs Tulane
- Top Performer: QB Dwayne Haskins (21-24, 304 yards, 5 TD)
- This Week: Saturday @ #9 Penn State (7:30 p.m., ABC)
The first big test of Urban Meyer’s return comes on Saturday in Happy Valley, the winner gaining a significant surge of momentum in the Big Ten East.
NEXT: 6 Through 10
FOR FULL STORY ON STANDARD WEBSITE: ESNY’s College Football Week 5 Top 25: Top 10 matchups highlight big week | Elite Sports NY